Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Return of the Machine!

A long time ago, I went off on a long rant when the only CNC machine in our lab broke down for the first time since I started working in this lab. Its been four years since and by now I am totally accustomed to the idea of the CNC machine breaking down every now and then. Its kind of like a reflex reaction now. Restarting the computer AND the CNC machine solves the problem 95% of the time. If not there is some part that needs replacement. It usually takes about 2 weeks to figure out "which" part needs replacement. Then another 2 weeks to GET the replacement part and another week or so to replace the part. The machine kept breaking so often that we felt the need to get a new CNC machine two years ago.

So this time the newer CNC machine broke down. Obviously a 4 week backlog was going to ensue. So we decided to buy ANOTHER CNC machine. My boss came to know of this CNC machine in the market which cost $2000!!!! It was un"frikkin"believable! Our previous machines cost nothing less than $20000. This was 1/10th of the price. So what did they do? Did they go to the Junkyard, get a bunch of parts and put it together? We ordered this machine. 2 days later we got the answer to our previous question. Yes! They did to go to a junkyard to pick up parts and No, they didn't put it together!

The box they sent consisted of about 50 parts and the picture above! I was super excited! I got to play with all these parts and spend a full day building my own CNC machine! 3 hours later the beautiful piece of equipment on the right was sitting on one of the tables in our lab. I was extremely proud of myself. I had assembled an entire CNC machine on my own. Then it got me to thinking. How hard could it have really been? Obviously the company who made it thought it wasn't. Also it is fascinating how technology has progressed since the first CNC machines. The day may not be far when people who want to buy a car get a bunch of screws and motors along with a scary looking drawing like the one above.

The more pressing question is, Can we really resist technology? I obviously feel super excited whenever there is a new piece of machinery in the market which can do cool things. It is something like an occupational hazard I have to probably live with for the rest of my life. The only difference between me and these gadget freaks is that what "I" fancy costs a "little bit" more.

My dad resisted cell phones for the longest time. He refused to carry one! He thought it was invasion of privacy. It took a LOT of convincing and finally he caved. Now, a few years later, I am resisting the idea of the Smart phones. The G1s and the iphones are things that I want to keep away from because this time "I" think it would be invasion of privacy. Today when I don't answer my phone, I always have to answer so many questions like "Why didn't you pick up my phone? Were you intentionally ignoring me?" and such! Emails are easier, I can reply when I feel like. But if people find out I have a smart phone, I might be robbed off that luxury as well.

I know I am fighting a losing battle here. I am going to fall prey to this thing sooner or later! The real question is how much longer?

1 comment:

Arvind Ananthanarayanan said...

Prabha: there was this auto show in california i think where they had a "build your own electric car" demonstration which is exactly like that cnc puzzle you had to solve! so im guessing that wont take too long