Monday, August 24, 2009

Quarter Life Crisis!

A few weekends ago, I went to New Jersey without my razor. This led to the appearance of a four day stubble. This is when I thought it would be a brilliant idea to let it grow a little more. People started asking me the "why" question. I needed a reason. I had a friend in undergrad who if asked why he did something would retort with a "Mann kiya hamara!" (Translation: "Because I felt like it!"). In my case, I didn't think "Mann kiya hamara!" would have satisfied them so I replied with a reason. I made up a resolution that I won't shave until I find a way to move to "phase 3". (Doompi has been kind enough to describe the three phases of beard growth)

Its fascinating how the human brain works. In the attempt of trying to convince people the reasons behind the slightly pronounced "stubble", I got convinced about the whole thing myself. Most people simply laughed it off saying that it doesn't look like something I would be able to sustain. That brought me to do what any warm blooded guy would do! Strive to prove them wrong!

If you search "beard" on youtube, there are a whole bunch of videos of people who have photographed different phases of their beard growth and their subsequent adventures with shaving it off! This is my half baked effort of trying to match up to all that.


Maybe I should shave this thing off and start all over again! Documenting it better this time? But whatever opinions, it might evoke, I really do like my beard now. In a way it makes me NOT want to move on to Doompi's, muchly publicized, Phase 3! :D So now I need a new answer to the "Why" question! Some web search led me to the terminology called Quarter life crisis! Like Col. Hans Landa said in Inglourious Basterds, "That's a bingo". It makes perfect sense! Now this revelation opens up great possibilities :D! Anyone selling any Motorcycles? ;)

2 comments:

Idyll Mind said...

Interesting. You think growing a beard is a prerequisite to owning a bike? Cos I have a feeling it is! I am going to contemplate this being phase 4!

vivg said...

at least u can still call it "quarter life crisis". in my case it will be more like "half life crisis"..