Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Happy Devoli!

Yeah thats how its spelt....... Ask any native here. And if your instincts yell out, "you can't even say it (or for that matter spell it) properly", then you gotta ask yourself, CAN YOU????
Devoli is actually spelt Da choti ee ki maatra, Va aa ki maatra, La badi ee ki maatra and probably not even Diwali as most of us like to spell it as..... Ok i am not here to teach language classes. And specially not hindi language classes. Because as my good old friends point out, I don't really understand these languages..... I started with Tamil in my childhood. Now i struggle at my mother tongue. Then came hindi where I could never really get the maatras right (feel free to point out any spelling error in my devoli!) Somewhere between(or was it after) that time came english. The language which is probably responsible for my survival..... (My roommate is going to kill me for saying this) Finally, as my good old first yr. roommate likes to say, came C++. So thats FOUR languages I know (Oh! And I also learnt french sometime so that makes it 5) and not one of them I can speak well.

A wise man would say, "Be practical. Just make sure you get your thoughts across." But it gets quite difficult at times. Matlab (no thats not the mathematical computational tool I am talking about), how can you possibly converse in just one language..... Just think about it, the average indian is groomed in such a way that he is just not competent to speak in just one language.....
Yeah I know thats a pretty strong statement to make. But try to actually implement this. You'll find it quite difficult to speak in only one language without any inadvertent use of words of a different language. I am quite sure you'll succeed. But you have to make a conscious effort towards that......

No comments: